Bechtel Corporation Senior Pipeline Engineer in Santiago, Chile
Requisition ID: 203366
The Senior Pipeline Engineer reports directly to the Pipeline Chief Engineer functionally and to the Project Engineering Manager on project. The Senior Pipeline Engineer is responsible for the planning and execution of pipeline and pipeline facilities related work within the Pipeline Business Line (P/L BL) requiring judgement in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria. Serves in a consulting and advisory role as requested on other department projects as required. Responsible for assisting Business Development and management in expanding current work scope, developing proposal technical and pricing strategies and preparing proposal execution strategies/plans. Also supports communications and presentations to customers. Supervises the development of budgets and schedules, manages performance, reports progress, and initiates action to assure program/project objectives and schedules are met and work is performed within budget and according to specifications when required. Has responsibility that all work performed is delivered within contract requirements, standards of quality and safety and to Customer and Bechtel performance expectations.
Essential Job Duties
1. Performs most assignments independently with instructions as to the general results expected. Receives technical guidance from Engineering Specialists or Supervisors on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed project plans.
2. Provides technical direction and assigns work to subordinate engineers, designers, drafters, technicians and others who assist in performing specific assignments.
3. Independently contacts vendor’s representatives and project field personnel to gather or give information. Contacts client counterparts as directed.
4. Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates detailed phases of engineering work for a global business unit usually in one discipline in a project or staff group. Performs work that involves conventional engineering practice but may include complex features such as resolving conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials and/or difficult coordination requirements.
5. Performs work using Bechtel Standard Application Programs (BSAPs) and appropriate 2-D and 3-D computer aided design and computer aided engineering (CAD and CAE) tools.
6. Plans, coordinates or prepares equipment or work specifications, bid evaluations and award recommendations for equipment.
7. Coordinates engineering efforts in assigned areas between specialty and other engineering groups or disciplines, with the client, suppliers, and contractors and between other groups.
8. When delegated, assumes a lead technical role over other engineers or project subgroups for completing specific tasks.
9. Assists in on-the-job-training of assigned personnel and provides input for their performance evaluations.
10. Prepares letters to vendors and clients.
11. Reviews bid analyses and makes recommendation.
12. Prepares or assists in preparation of conceptual studies, designs, reports or proposals.
13. Performs or assists in the performance of problem analysis and original design.
14. Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of cost estimates, quantity take-offs and staffing requirements for proposals, forecasts and change orders.
15. Reviews and checks work of subordinate engineers.
16. Supports the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
Subject matter expert in the pipeline engineering industry.
Thorough knowledge of discipline engineering techniques, the design of engineered systems, and engineering and design calculations.
Understands the application of Engineering Department Procedures, relevant Bechtel design guides. Broad knowledge of the application of engineering to plant constructability as applied to construction methods and materials.
Knowledge of current computer applications for engineering and design including appropriate knowledge of CAD (both 2-D and 3-D), CAE and relevant Bechtel Standard Computer Applications to perform the work.
Understanding of engineering planning and control methods including computerized methods.
Understanding of the roles played by other departments on projects including basic construction practices and the economics involved.
Understanding of industry or regulatory codes and standards and design criteria pertinent to the engineering discipline.
Skill in oral and written communication.
The above is normally acquired through:
A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, AND
A professional license in an appropriate engineering discipline from a recognized licensing board, AND
Sufficient number of specialized courses in relevant general engineering or appropriate engineering disciplines to meet job requirements, AND
Practical work experience in design engineering or relevant equivalent experience in allied types of engineering sufficient to demonstrate competence as a trained engineer.
Broad working knowledge of precedents in the specialty area, the principles and practices of related technical areas and of coordinating work with other technical disciplines.
Plans and coordinates independent work requiring judgment and experience in the application and substantial adaptation of engineering techniques. Devises new approaches to technical problems.
Knowledgeable of and performs standard discipline engineering activities on projects of relatively small size and complexity within the business line with minimal technical oversight.
Coordinates technical issues with other departments on projects including constructability requirements and reviews.
Provides technical direction for specific tasks and assigns work to subordinate senior engineers, engineers, designers, drafters or project sub-groups.
Knowledge of the entire pipeline design and route selection process including early site selection process, initial landowner contract, geotechnical studies, right-of-way survey, and stakeholder relations
Thorough knowledge of all phases of pipeline construction operations relating to engineering, construction and field activities
Skilled in medium and large diameter (20” to 36”+) pipeline routing.
10 + years of experience coordinating access for survey teams to perform geotechnical investigations, environmental data collection and centerline surveys.
Broad knowledge of environmental compliance laws and requirements
Broad knowledge of government compliance standards
10+ years’ experience in estimating costs for pipeline construction and installation of facilities.
Broad knowledge of FERC construction permitting and approval.
Experience in gathering relevant detailed data for environmental studies in support of Resource Reports for FERC filing.
Knowledge of continuous improvement methodologies
Knowledge of cross functional work processes and interface knowledge, especially Project Controls, Supply Chain management, Quality management and the ability to manage the relationships/interfaces with management and functional groups.
Oral, written and graphic communication and presentation skills
Fluent in Spanish and English
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.